Sunday, November 8, 2009

Day 2 - The Importance Of Walls

Nehemiah 1


The idea of building walls is often viewed in a negative sense. One often thinks of building walls between each other so there is a lack of emotional contact and poor communication. The idea of building a wall around something can also be viewed as being confined to one place; being unable to move from the circumstance one may be experiencing. In Christian circles, we often refer to God tearing down the walls as He did for the Israelites at Jericho. It is hard to think of rebuilding a wall as a good thing.


The walls that I am referring to are the walls that were built around ancient cities as a form of protection. The bigger and stronger the walls around the city were, the better the city’s defenses were against an attack by an enemy. When I am talking rebuilding the wall as I am referring to my family, I am really referring to this type of wall. I want to see my family learn that they need to give God the authority over their reactions to the past and present. As long as the defenses are down, they are open to easy attacks by the enemy.


Nehemiah was a servant in the king of Persia’s palace. His brother and some companions came to visit and told Nehemiah about the destruction of the wall of Jerusalem. Nehemiah mourned the news and prayed and fasted before God. There were some points in his prayer that stuck out at me. The first was that he immediately confessed his own sin, his family’s sin, and the nation’s sin. He put himself in a place of humility. He then reminded God of a promise He had made, “But if you return to me and obey my commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my Name.” Nehemiah then prayed for favor and success with the impossible.


Doesn’t God enjoy working with the impossible? The problem is, we often don’t ask for or even expect the impossible. I want to see and experience the impossible! I want to see God rebuild the ancient ruins that have been destroyed for generations. You see, the problems with my childhood didn’t start there, those generational sins where there long before I was born. It is time to see some rebuilding! My first prayer is that my family will see the need to give God the authority in our family – to be our stronghold. What are you praying over your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.