Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Day 4 - Blessed

Luke 1 : 39 – 56



Have you ever been through something unique and had someone with whom to share the moment? Maybe it was a tragedy, or maybe it was something very wonderful; either way, having someone in your life that was experiencing a similar event became a blessing. I think of the time Mary and Elizabeth get to spend together during their pregnancies as a gift from God. Here were two women who were each experiencing a miraculous pregnancy and had an angel explain that their babies would change the world. There was no one else going through the same experience as them, and God gave them a chance to experience it together.



I love the way Elizabeth greets Mary in this section of scripture. Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesized about Mary and her baby. Elizabeth’s baby leaped in her womb at the sound of Mary’s voice and Elizabeth called her blessed. In verse 45, Elizabeth says, “Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!” I always feel it is neat that God uses other people to tell us something.


Mary then responds with a song in which she praises God for several verses. In the midst of her praises, she says in verse 48, “From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me – holy is His name.” This may sound like she is bragging, but I do not think she is; she is simply pointing out what God was doing in her life. This makes me think of when people share their testimonies; all of us have things that God has done in our lives that would allow us to say that we are blessed. For me, I can say that God helping me heal from my childhood and learning to forgive is a blessing. I am truly blessed for the beautiful work He has accomplished in me. For my husband, he can say how he is truly blessed by God to grow up in a wonderful, loving family where he learned of God’s love for him. His testimony is what God kept him from.



This makes me ask the question: why would people call you blessed? What is your God story? God doesn’t want us to hide the work He is doing in our lives because when others see His work, they can have hope. Share the hope God has given you with others, for you are blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.