Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 16 - Time With God

Hebrews 11:27, Exodus 12:31-51

“By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king’s anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible.” When it was time to leave Egypt, Moses had already had several encounters with God. We read throughout the story, that he experienced God through the burning bush, and God spoke to him on many occasions. He also saw the power of God through the plagues He had sent on Egypt, including the Passover. Moses saw that God was powerful, more powerful than anyone including the Pharaoh. Moses had faith, so that when God said it was time to go, he knew that God would protect them. This makes me think of spiritual disciplines; because when we follow a pattern of spiritual discipline, our relationship with God will grow thus growing our faith. When we spend time with God, we become more aware of His work in our lives and we can trust His leading.

Let me define “spiritual disciplines.” I am not going to give a special formula on how to spend time with God, but I will explain what that means. Spiritual disciplines include prayer, reading the Bible, spending time alone with God and listening to Him, and serving others in love. How you choose to do this is your preference. I know some people enjoy spending time in nature when they are alone with God, others go someplace other than their house so they are not distracted by things at home. For me, some of my best conversations with God have been in the car when I am alone, I also enjoy worshipping through singing and playing my instruments. This blog is a result of my time in the Bible and my reflection after I read; since I enjoy writing, this is an effective way for me to focus on what God is speaking to me through His Word. I know someone who has a special corner in their house to spend time in prayer and reflection. I enjoy small group studies because I can learn from others as they talk about their experiences with God. John Ortberg’s book, “The Life You’ve Always Wanted” is an excellent book about developing spiritual disciplines and I would recommend reading it if you want to learn more about spiritual disciplines.

You see, Moses’ faith was grounded in his experiences he had with God, so he was ready to follow God anywhere. I firmly believe that if you ask God to reveal Himself to you, He will. Matthew 7:7-8 says, “Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.” If actively seek Him out and spend time with Him, you will find Him and your faith will grow. If you want to experience God, ask and spend time seeking Him and you will experience Him in a way that is fresh every day. I am always amazed at how multi-faceted God’s word is, and how often I can read a verse that I have read for years and God shows me something new. I truly want to continue learning and growing as long as I am living.
Have you been spending time with God? Are you using spiritual disciplines to grow in your relationship with Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.