Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 19 - Give God the Lead

Hebrews 11:30, Joshua 5:13 – 6:21

I remember when I was in college working on my degree for music therapy, I began my supervised clinical work. Part of my clinical work was learning to do my paperwork, which included writing goals and objectives and tracking my clients’ progress. My professor added extra paperwork for that process to walk us through the process so we would understand every step. I remember some of my fellow classmates complaining about it and pointing out that any professional job would not require all the extra steps, but the point was that we were not professionals and we were still learning to navigate the paperwork process. My classmates were right, in the “real world” we didn’t have all the little steps to complete, but without that guidance it took more diligence to remember what I needed to report on my clients. Life is like that, sometimes we have to do things that don’t always make sense and sometimes we can look back and piece it all together. Other times, we don’t ever get to understand why. The story of Jericho is like that.

Hebrews 11 tells us that the walls of Jericho fell because of faith, faith that no matter how ridiculous it may have seemed the Israelites still walked around the city for seven days. This battle was crucial to the Israelites because it was the first battle of many to claim the land of Canaan. The Israelites were fresh off an incredible experience with God when they crossed the Jordan River, but they were now entering a new phase of life with battles ahead of them. God never told them why they were to walk around Jericho for seven days, but they did it anyway. Maybe the people in the city thought they were crazy, but I think it scared them to see the Israelite army marching completely around their city for seven days. We will talk about Rehab tomorrow, but she does tell the spies that Jericho was afraid of the Israelites. I think that this was a process that God needed the Israelites to go through to build their faith. I also want to point out that God had the ark go first, a signal that God was leading the battle, not the Israelites. God had already told Joshua that they city was delivered to them; they just needed to follow Him.

I think this is an incredible reminder that when we are doing God’s work, we need to make sure that we follow His lead. Sometimes it may not make sense, but we need to trust that He will lead us to victory. The best way to know that we are allowing God to lead us is to spend time in the Bible, pray, and listen to Him. Our faith will grow as we follow God’s lead and not our own. I know I have talked a lot of spiritual disciplines this week, but that is the best way to hear God’s voice.

Are you spending time with God so that you can give Him the lead?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.