Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 2 - God's Word

Hebrews 11:3, Genesis 1

The first two verses of Hebrews 11 give us a picture of faith. We are then reminded of a basic truth that we have to believe by faith in verse 3, “By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.” Let us visit the creation story and remind ourselves of the incredible power of God’s word. Please read Genesis 1. What does the Bible show us every time God added something new to His creation? I love this! The Bible tells us, “And God said…” God spoke everything into existence! That is amazing! We have to believe this truth by faith because there was no one around to witness the creation.

My husband and I were just talking about creation with our children the other day. How easily they accept by faith that God created the world. This is so important to believe. How could we possibly believe the Bible is God’s Word if we cannot believe the first chapter in the Bible? God started out with the power of His spoken word. If He says it, IT WILL HAPPEN. This is not a trivial matter. We have to believe what God says is true. We have to believe that even though we can’t see it, it is truth. That is faith. “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.”

I am sure of my hope that someday I will get to worship my loving Father in heaven because Jesus stood in my place and took my punishment. I am sure of my hope that there is more to this life than being a good person here on Earth. I cannot see my future, but I am certain that when God said in John 3:16 that God loved us so much that if we believe in Christ we will have eternal life, it will happen. Look around you! The world we live in is evidence that God’s Word has power; God’s Word is life!

Don’t miss out on God’s power in your life! Is your hope grounded in God’s Word? Hebrews 4:12 says, “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” If God’s word is living and active and we have faith that God’s word is truth, then our faith in God also will require change and activity in us. I like what David Wolpe said in Why Faith Matters (Harper Collins, 2008) as he commented on his struggle with doubt and his return to his Jewish faith. “Increasingly I was less concerned with what God might be than with what faith in God might make me.” How is faith in God shaping your life?

I am excited to read what happened to people when they believed that what God said was true. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.