Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 4 - Pleasing God

Hebrews 11: 5 - 6, Genesis 5 : 21 – 24

Genesis 5:22 – 23 tells us that Enoch walked with God and that he did not die because God took him away. I always wonder how intimate that relationship must have been between Enoch and God; it must have been beautiful. I can look back at times when I know God was asking me to do a little faith walk with Him and I didn’t answer; oh, how that must have broke His heart! I can also see times when I did answer the call and it wasn’t always easy, but how much closer I grew to Him in those times. Looking at Hebrews 11:6, I know when I have “faith walks” with God I am pleasing God. “And without faith, it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.” In order to please God, we must have faith.

It is easy to look at some of the other heroes of faith listed in Hebrews 11 and think that great actions show a great amount of faith; however, I don’t think that is necessarily true. Genesis does not tell us about any amazing leadership that Enoch demonstrated except that he walked with God, yet he is listed in the “Hall of Faith.” Let’s dig a little deeper and see what faith requires of us.

Romans 1:5 says, “Through him and for his name’s sake, we received grace and apostleship to call people from among all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith. We see obedience in a faith walk. What do we need to obey? Micah 6:8 says, “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” We also see that a faith walk has us living the life Christ lived here on earth. John 14:12 says, “I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith will do what I have been doing.” What was Christ doing? John 13:34 says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” We see love is important in a faith walk. I Corinthians 13:13 says, “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” We can see how faith shows obedience which will then show love: Matthew 22 : 37 – 40 says, “Jesus replied, ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.’”

A faith walk with God requires love. We will not all be great leaders like Joshua or become the next Billy Graham, but God honors a faith walk of obedience and love. This may be making a meal for a sick neighbor, or showing kindness to the person that only returns cruelty. This pleases God! Are you convicted yet, because I am! I can think of all the little things that God asked me to do and I didn’t. One last note: James 2 : 16 - 17 says, “If one of you says to him, ‘Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,’ but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.” The Bible is very clear that actions do not save us, it is God’s grace through faith (Ephesians 2 : 8 – 9); however, the Bible is also showing us that faith in God is going to change us and requires action.

Wow! What is my faith in God going to require of me today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.