Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day 10 - The King's Ten Servants

Luke 19:11-27

This parable is very similar to the one we read yesterday. Please read through it and look at the parallels in the parable from yesterday. One thing that is different is the subjects who disliked the noble man and sent a delegation to the other kingdom to express their displeasure at the thought of him becoming a king. Since we examined God’s desire for us to use the talents and gifts He has given us to build His kingdom, let’s look at His response to those who rebel against His authority.

Have you ever known anyone who has learned about God and made an effort to not follow Him? I’m not talking about the person who has never encountered Him; I’m talking about the person who has been taught about Him and His love for us. They have learned of the sacrifice Christ made for us, but they choose not to accept His gift. This person is very proud and does not accept that he/she needs a savior. I have known people like that and it breaks my heart. These two parables show us what happens to the person who openly chooses to rebel against their knowledge of who God is. They are condemned to die an eternal death, but this isn’t just death, it is suffering. In yesterday’s parable, Matthew 25:30 concludes it with, “And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

I’ll be honest with you, I hate talking about this side of eternity. I prefer to tell every one of God’s love, grace, and forgiveness; I don’t like talking about “weeping and gnashing of teeth.” It is a very disturbing picture. I also believe that God wants us to come into to a relationship with Him not out of fear, but out of humility that He would choose to have a relationship with us. He wants us to learn of His love for us and grow to become more like Him. He wants us to use the skills He has given us to bring people to Him. Sometimes I wonder if the picture of Hell that Jesus paints was more for us; He wants us to feel an urgency to keep people from going there. The more I look at these two parables, the more layers I uncover and it is quite amazing that Jesus packed so much meaning into them! So, the layer I am looking at today is using our gifts to prevent others from the damnation Jesus talks about in both parables.

Do you feel the urgency to tell others of God’s love? Are you being Christ to the world in His absence?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.