Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 12 - The Servant's Role

Luke 17:7-10

For the last few days, I talked about the parable of the talents and the parable of the ten servants. I explored how Jesus may have been giving us a sense of urgency to keep people from an eternal damnation, and I also explored how Jesus was probably talking directly to some people in His audience that was choosing to ignore His authority. I explored how God wants us to use the skills He has given us. I have also explored how He looks at us building His kingdom during Jesus' absence on earth is considered good stewardship. After reading this parable, I feel that it ties in what we have been exploring for the last few days nicely.

In this parable, I feel that Jesus is reminding us that when we are obeying Him, we shouldn't expect tons of accolades; we are simply doing what we are supposed to do. He likened it to a servant who does what he is told and doesn't expect anything in return because he is a servant. As a mother, I think of my children's obedience. I do not give them rewards every single time they obey my directions. I approve of their behavior and appreciate their obedience, but I also expect it from them. That is what they are supposed to do! That is how our obedience should be with God.

We should obey God because that is what we are supposed to do. This is not for reward; in fact sometimes our obedience can put us in situations we don't really like. What we need to remember is that obedience is what we are called to do - nothing else. We truly are unworthy of His grace, we are only doing what we are told to do (at best).

Are you obeying God out of expectancy, or are you obeying God because that is what you are supposed to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.