Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Day 19 - The Persistent Widow

Luke 18:1-8

I love how this parable starts: “Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.” I don’t know about you, but I certainly appreciate when the Bible makes a statement like that! It helps me understand the main focus of the parable. I think sometimes we ignore the beginning statement that sets up the parable. Yesterday, Jesus was teaching about prayer, today Jesus was teaching about persistence. We know that was His point because we are told that was His purpose for telling this parable.

Jesus tells of a judge who didn’t fear God or care about men. A widow kept coming to him asking for justice, and he would refuse. Finally, because of the widow’s persistence, he saw that she got justice. Before I move on, I want to make sure that I mention the fact that Jesus used a widow in this story. Widows were some of the most vulnerable people in the village, and Jesus was showing how awful this judge was to not listen to her. Jesus then goes on to make the point that God would never do that to us! God does listen to us and we should never give up asking.

Sometimes we think we know what is best and forget that God really knows what is best. Sometimes we are in a situation when we are crying for justice, and it seems that God isn’t listening. I know when I have been in those situations; hindsight always shows me that there were pieces to the puzzle that I didn’t see at the time that needed to work out first. Just because God doesn’t respond when we want Him to or in the way we want Him to, we need to trust His judgment and remember that He sees the whole picture. We can’t give up; we need to continue turning to God and trusting Him.

Do you trust God’s judgment? Do you trust Him enough to continue coming to Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.