Monday, March 22, 2010

Day 23 - The Rich Fool

Luke 12:13-21

Reading this parable got me curious and I began to wonder what people worry about the most. I know that I have a tendency to worry about finances, but what about other people? So I did an unscientific search on Google about what people worry about. I found it interesting that the top three sites I was sent to were titled, “What do rich people worry about?” I scanned the articles and I found out that they worry about finances, too. But their financial worries are different. They don’t worry about making ends meet, they worry about losing their wealth. An unfair lawsuit seems to be one of the top worries among people that are making around $1,000,000 a year. Either way, financial worries are not what God wants for us. He wants our focus about finances to be about what He would like us to do with our money. Let’s look at the parable for today.

A man approached Jesus and asked Him to settle an inheritance issue between two brothers. Instead Jesus told this parable to warn against greed. He then tells of a man that had an unusually large harvest that year and he built bigger barns to store it all for himself. He was very happy because he felt like he was set for the rest of his life. God told him that he would lose his life that night and no one would get to share in his wealth. “This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God,” (vs. 21). I don’t believe that Jesus was saying never to set up a retirement account; He just wants us to think more than just ourselves when it comes to money.

There is nothing wrong with saving money; in fact it is a wise thing to do. Saving money sets us up for future purchases like a house or a car. It helps prepare for the future such as college or retirement. The problem with the man in this parable is that his savings became his source of comfort and he wasn’t sharing his wealth with others. If you jump down to verse 34, Jesus says, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” If our heart is in our money, we will probably not be generous with it because we don’t want to lose it. When our hearts are on God, we will become more aware of how He would like us to use what He has given us.

Proverbs 12:28 says, “Whoever trusts in his riches will fall, but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf.” Our trust shouldn’t lie with our money; our trust needs to be in God. When we can put our trust in Him, we will thrive in ways that money would never allow us to thrive. I find this very convicting, because my human eyes see the financial stressors in my life; God wants me to look at those circumstances with His eyes and trust that He will always provide what I need when I need it.

How about you? Are you keeping trust in your money or in God?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.