Thursday, April 1, 2010

Day 31 - The Traveling Owner of the House

Mark 13:32-37

Wow! It is hard to believe that I am reaching the end of my parables study. I have enjoyed reading the words of Jesus as He spoke to us using stories to tell us what kind of life we are to be living. Have you ever seen any of the old movies about Jesus' life. I remember seeing them when I was a kid, and He was always portrayed as calm and serene, showing very little emotion. I can tell you now that is not the Jesus I know. The Jesus I know is a great storyteller who leaves me sitting on the edge of my seat wanting to know what's next. I feel like a child telling her mom or dad, "Tell me another story! Pleeeeese!"

Jesus tells this parable right after He had been telling what the end times would be like. As we have read in the other parables this week, he tells us that we are to keep watch and expect His return. He tells of a man who leaves his house and puts his servants in charge. Each servant has his own task, including one who is to keep watch. "If he [the master] comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping," verse 36. I don't want to be caught sleeping when I have a job to do. I'm not talking about the job I get paid for; I do believe that God gives us skills and places us where we belong, but I'm talking about the ministry that we are called to do here on earth.

A pastor I know has this phrase posted over the main door of his church so as people leave the church they read, "You are now entering your mission field." Isn't that true?! Our mission field is right where God has placed us and we need to keep our eyes open for the opportunity that He gives us daily. I have lived life far too long sleep walking; I want to have the eyes of my heart open to the needs around me.

If you do not know where to start, contact your church and begin serving at church. Ask your pastor what agencies the church partners with so you can serve others outside of church. Contact the city mission nearest you and see how you can serve there. Give food to a local food pantry. Deliver meals to those that are having a difficult time. There is so much pain around us, and Jesus wants us to make a difference.

Where will you make a difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.