Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 24 - Patience

James 1:2-5

I was ready to write this post yesterday to get further ahead, but when I came to write it I felt lost. I just didn’t feel like I was hearing what God wanted to speak to me. I decided to shut down the computer rather than stare at it frustrated and found it a little comical that the week I wanted to start patience I was impatiently trying to get back on schedule and write my posts ahead like I had been. Realizing that perhaps God was trying to exercise my patience I laughed at myself and decided that I could come back to this later. Today, as soon as I started researching patience and looked at the same resources I looked at yesterday, I immediately saw what God was trying to teach me. I am going to look at a section of scripture that I studied when writing about joy. I knew that studying patience would probably lead me back to this spot, but today, God opened my eyes to a beautiful connection. I want to look at how we gain patience!

For the last 15 years or so I have joked that you should never pray for patience because that is when your patience will be tested. Today, looking at scripture, I see that praying for patience perhaps isn’t the prayer that we should be asking of God anyway. Please look at James 1:2-5 and instead of looking at studying the idea of joy through trials, please focus on the part that mentions of perseverance. I am going to zoom in on verses 4 and 5: “Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.” As I read through that earlier, the wisdom stuck out at me. When writing about joy, I mentioned that it was awesome that we can come to God and ask for wisdom through our trials. Today, I found an absolute nugget in Proverbs that helps the connection with perseverance and wisdom complete!

Please turn to Proverbs 19:11. “A man’s wisdom gives him patience…” Do you see the connection? As we gain heavenly wisdom, we increase our ability to be patient in circumstances and with other people. If we are finding it difficult to exercise patience, we should be praying for wisdom! Please look at Proverbs 2:3-6. We can see that the only true source of wisdom comes from God and we merely need to desire it, seek it, and ask for it. Verse 6 says, “For the LORD gives wisdom, and from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.” When we can understand why someone may be behaving or remember the knowledge that God loves them deeply, we can have more patience with them. We need wisdom to have patience. Sometimes we gain that wisdom by asking for it through trials and sometimes it is just simply by asking. What I can say with confidence is that God has promised to give wisdom for anyone who asks and believes that God will give it.

When you’re in a situation with your patience waning, are you asking God for wisdom?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.