Monday, May 31, 2010

Day 37 - Good Fruit

Luke 6:43-45

When I was younger knew someone who always had something bad to say about a mutual friend. They would always start out by saying, “I really like so-and-so, but…” and would then complain about our friend’s weaknesses. After a while, this person began to treat our friend unkindly to the point that other people around me would question whether or not the person really liked our friend. It became a lesson for me; I learned that I need to bring my annoyances to God and not voice them to other people (although that can be very difficult at times). I don’t want to let my attitude in my heart to cause me to bear bad fruit. I also found that if I spoke about an unpleasant annoyance, it became even more annoying; however, if I let it be and gave it to God my heart would soften. I am far from perfect and I find myself failing at this during times when there is a great hurt. It is a very convicting thought and whenever I find dark spots in my heart, I want them cut out so I don’t bear a fruit that is bad. Please turn to Luke 6:43-45.

We have already studied and found that mankind is not good; only God is good, which is what Jesus told us. With that thought, why then would Jesus say in verse 45, “The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart…” We know we are not good, so how can we produce good fruit? I think the answer can be found in Psalms 51:10, “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” Our hearts can only be pure by work of God, and when we have a pure heart we can produce good fruit. When we allow God to do a work in our heart, we then will see and speak good things. Please turn to Titus 1:15. The condition of our heart affects what we see around us and how we see people. If God is working on our hearts, there will be evidence in our spoken word and actions and we will be bearing fruit that is good.

I had a day to spend with God a few days ago and I went to a scenic park near my home. I spent some of my time with God hiking and praising Him for His beautiful creation. A thought came into my head how at the end of each day that God spent creating the world He looked on it and saw that it was good. I remember praising God because I thought it was wonderful and amazing that God could be pleased with everything He did! As I write my blog post today, I can see that the only reason that God can create a good creation is because He is good. God is pure and His heart is pure. Out of His goodness came a good creation!

Have you asked God to create a pure heart in you so you can bear good fruit?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.