Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 40 - Love and Faithfulness

Proverbs 16:6

I have seen marriages and families torn apart because a person chose to be unfaithful to their spouse. I have also seen the spouse that was unfaithful regret their terrible choice and still declare their love for their spouse. The problem that happened is that the faithful spouse is now horribly hurt and has a difficult time trusting the spouse that was unfaithful. Love without faithfulness can hurt deeply. Yesterday, I mentioned that I was surprised to see several references to verses that had the phrase, “love and faithfulness.” I wanted to look into it a little more to see why I easily found several verses containing that phrase with a small concordance. I think the reason may be because we are assured that not only does God love us, we also know that He will be faithful. We know from studying love that God is love, and we also know that God is faithful. In fact, in yesterday’s post I found it difficult to narrow down which verses to highlight that spoke of God’s faithfulness. It occurred to me that love and faithfulness is a perfect combination because we can have a limited love which will allow us to be unfaithful, but God’s unconditional love drives Him to be perfectly faithful. Let’s start by reading about the ultimate gift we are given through love and faithfulness. Please turn to Proverbs 16:6.

Through God’s love and faithfulness, our sin is atoned for! We certainly do not deserve to have atonement (reconciliation) with God because we are the unfaithful spouse; however, God loves us and is faithful to keep His promises so we know that we are forgiven through Jesus’ sacrifice. Psalm 57:3 says, “He sends from heaven and saves me, rebuking those who hotly pursue me. God sends His love and His faithfulness.” David wrote of a promise that God spoke to him in Psalm 89:24a, “My faithful love will be with Him…” God extends His love and faithfulness to us. As I think on that, it seems that faithfulness isn’t just something God is; faithfulness is something that God gives. Just as God gives us His love, He also gives us His faithfulness. His love is unfailing! Through His gift of love and faithfulness we are reconciled with Him! What a beautiful and precious gift He has given us.

God wants us to give love and faithfulness as well; please turn to Proverbs 3:3. Love and faithfulness are to guide our actions and behavior and the writer of this proverb says that they are never to leave us. Our word should mean something, and our word should be guided by love. In a sense, faithfulness is following through on the actions that are required by love. I think of how many ideas that I have that are guided by love but then I don’t follow through with those loving ideas. God wants my love to be consistent and faithful in my follow through; good thoughts and ideas are not enough. When I am not faithful with my follow through of love, my love doesn’t do anything! Love requires faithfulness just as faithfulness is driven by love.

Are you showing faithfulness in your love?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.