Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 43 - Faithful Even When Others Are Faithless

2 Timothy 2:1-13

I had an opportunity to witness God’s work in my 9 year old daughter’s life the other day and I asked her if it would be alright for me to share it in my blog. She asked me to come into her room and she read to me out of her journal. In her journal she had written about the pain she just experienced when she learned of some things that two neighborhood children said about her behind her back. It really wounded her deeply; this was her first experience with a betrayal. She continued reading to me and I listened to how she wrote out the inner battle she struggled with. She wrote how she wanted to yell at them and slam the door in their face the next time they came over to play, but then she wrote something amazing. She wrote how she knew that was not what God wanted her to do and wrote out this scripture, “A hot-tempered man stirs up dissention, but a patient man calms a quarrel,” Proverbs 15:18. My little 9 year old was learning that adding fuel to the fire was not the way to handle the situation. Instead she made a conscious choice that she would remain faithful even when those two friends had not been faithful. God does that with us as well! Please turn to 2 Timothy 2:1-13.

I especially would like to focus on verse 13, “If we are faithless, He will remain faithful, for He cannot disown Himself.” That really struck me. Because God is faithful, He cannot be anything other than faithful otherwise He wouldn’t be Himself. So, even when we are not faithful, He will always remain faithful. There are times when we are struggling with such difficult things that we find it hard to remain faithful on our own. It is when we can look back at those times when even we have given up that God continued to be faithful and was with us all along. Just as my daughter knew that while she may not be able to fully trust the two children that had hurt her, she could still remain faithful to them and treat them with respect; God knows that we fail but He chose that faithful was who He is. We can read farther on in 2 Timothy 2 to see how we are to live as followers of Christ which will help us be faithful both to God and the people we are with.

I want to stress that faithfulness is a conscious choice that we as humans make. When I began studying and looking up scripture about faithfulness, I noticed there were far more scriptures about God’s faithfulness than human faithfulness. God has led the example of faithfulness for us as He has kept every promise He has given. God’s love is faithful in that it never fails. We too, can choose to be faithful even when we know that the faithfulness will not be returned. After all, returning faithlessness for faithlessness only stirs up dissention. Forgiveness and love even when unreturned will promote peace and will bear witness to the work of God in your life.

How can you show faithfulness even through your pain?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.