Monday, June 28, 2010

Week 1, Day 1 - Prayer Brings Us Closer To God

Psalm 32:6

As I began to think and pray about what I should study next, I felt that studying prayer was something that would help me grow closer to God. I received confirmation when my nine year old daughter blurted out “Mom, you should write your blog about prayer!” I had to chuckle because I hadn’t mentioned to my family that I was leaning in that direction. Since then, God has brought more confirmation by orchestrating circumstances to line up in my life that would help me along in my study on prayer. As I begin this study, I must admit that I am starting with enormous anticipation and wonder about what God is going to do. I have learned that when I feel led so strongly to do something and then I begin to see things fall in place, God has something bigger planned for me than I can imagine. If it means that I am strengthening a weakness in my life and in that journey I will grow closer to God, then that is enough for me. I just want to start first by looking at a verse that calls us all to a life of prayer; please turn to Psalm 32:6.

Everyone who follows Christ should be in prayer. Please look up 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 and see how often we should be praying. Verse 17 tells us to, “pray continually.” As I study deeper into prayer, I will look at what that means, but we can read that and know that we are to being living a life grounded in prayer. This week as I begin looking at prayer, I want to study some of the many reasons why we should be living a life of prayer. Today I want to look at how prayer brings us closer to God; please look up Psalm 5:1-3. David wrote about how he prayed to God every morning and laid his requests before Him. This post is not going to be about the perfect time to pray, but I will say that it truly is a great way to start out the day by spending some time with God. It does seem to set our hearts toward Him rather than our stresses and business.

The point I want to focus on is David’s devotion to spending time each day with God. This is important because we will not grow deeper in our relationship with God unless we spend time with Him. I think about any relationship with any other human here on earth; in order to get to know our friends, spouse, or children better is to spend time with them. If we didn’t spend much time with them and talking with them, we wouldn’t get to know them deeper. We see that happen with friendships or marriages that grow apart. Usually that happens when the people are not spending a lot of time together. They are not growing and changing together, so eventually they drift apart. Prayer is the same way. When we spend time with God every day, we grow closer to Him, but if we do not spend time with Him we will eventually see our relationship with Him drift. The more time we spend with God, the more we find that we need God. The more we realize we need God, the more time we want to spend with God. When we pray and listen, our hunger and need for that time grows. The more time I spend with my family, the more I want to be with my family because we are growing closer together; the more time I spend with my husband, the more I miss him when he is away. Then end result of time spent together is becoming closer to the one you are spending time with.

Have you been spending time with God in prayer? How can you find the time to grow closer to God? Do you have a friend that will keep you accountable in your prayer life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.