Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Week 1, Day 2 - Prayer Brings Assurance

Psalm 3

Have you ever been in a situation that was difficult and seemed hopeless? Perhaps you were in a situation at work that had you in a place where you seemed like you were in over your head. Sometimes the stress in those situations can be overwhelming! I have been there, and I also have had a boss that would learn of the situation and would take care of it. It wasn't my responsibility to worry about the outcome. I soon learned that there were things in that job that I was taking ownership of and worrying about that wasn't mine to own. As soon as I expressed my concern about the situation, my boss would tackle the problem and I experienced relief. Prayer can be very similar for us on a spiritual level; please look at Psalm 3 and see how David turned to God in a situation that would require divine intervention.

When David wrote this Psalm, he was fleeing from his son Absalom who was trying to overthrow the kingdom with military force. David even wrote in verse two, "Many are saying of me, 'God will not deliver him.'" David knew his situation seemed hopeless by human standard, but he turned to God anyway. Verse 5 shows us how David experienced peace as a result of turning to God: "I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me." Focus on the fact that David was fleeing for his life and he was able to sleep! David trusted God and knew that God had His hand on David. Things may not have made sense, but because David turned to God he had peace. Look at why David had peace in Psalm 4:3, "Know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself; the LORD will hear when I call to Him." David had an assurance that God will listen.

Proverbs 15:29 says, "The LORD is far from the wicked but He hears the prayer of the righteous." We know that God hears our prayers because the Bible tells us that He does. When we bring our concerns to Him, we have an assurance that He is listening. He may not answer us in the way we expect, but we can also have the assurance of knowing that God knows what is best for us. When we bring our concerns to Him, we can have peace because He will be there with us and listen to our problems and provide the help that we need. Sometimes my boss would solve the issue in a way that I wouldn't have done, but because he had different perspective and new other things about the situation he could make a better decision. We can trust that God can and will do the same for us.

Do you use prayer to give your concerns to God? Do you have an assurance that God will help you through the difficulty with what is best for everyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.