Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Week 1, Day 3 - Focus On God

Psalm 77

As a mother, there are times when I need to help my children to refocus their thoughts. Sometimes it may be that they are up against a task for school that seems daunting and I help them look at the task one small step at a time to see that it is not as difficult as it looks. Sometimes it may be helping them to focus on something good when they are dealing with pain from an injury. I remember when I was a child having a third degree burn on my hand when it caught on fire. This was a painful injury, but if I could keep from focusing on it I wouldn’t be bothered by it too much. The minute someone drew my attention to it, I could feel it throbbing and burning. Sometimes, spiritually we fight similar battles. We can face tasks that seem beyond our capabilities or we are racked with an emotional pain that we can’t seem to place out of our focus. Prayer can help us focus on God and how powerful He is so that what we can remember that what we are dealing with is within God’s wonderful capabilities. Please look up Psalm 77 and see how the Psalmist refocused his thoughts during a difficult time.

The first nine verses show the Psalmist feeling no hope, almost feeling abandoned. We have all been there! There have been times where we just cannot understand why we are dealing with a difficult situation and having a hard time feeling God through it all. But look at what the Psalmist says in verses 10-12, “Then I thought, ‘To this I will appeal: the years of the right hand of the Most High.’ I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember Your miracles of long ago. I will meditate on all Your works and consider all Your mighty deeds.” The Psalmist made a conscious decision to refocus his thoughts on the mighty hand of God. We are reminded of that by Paul; please look up Philippians 4:8. Paul reminds us the importance to focus on all that is good. How does that turn our focus to God? Please look up James 1:17. We know that good things come from God.

Sometimes our stress can keep us from that focus on God and that is where prayer can shift our thoughts. We can begin to pray and if even while praying we are still having difficulty focusing on God, we can ask God to help our focus to be on Him. Please look up John 16:22-24 and see the promise that Jesus left with us when we ask in His name. God will give us what we ask when our hearts are seeking His (John 15:16-17). Jesus tells us why He gave us this promise in John 16:33, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” We can focus on the promise that Jesus has overcome and there is nothing that is overwhelming to Him. Our prayers for focus will bring us peace and a heart of praise to our heavenly Father who loves us more than we can ever comprehend.

Do you need a new focus? Have you prayed to God to shift your focus on Him and His awesome power?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.