Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Week 4, Day 3 - Prayer As A Lifeline

Daniel 6:1-11

I have a friend who depends on prayer. She prays every morning and evening for a significant amount of time, but that is not why I say she depends on prayer. I know that she has a beautiful relationship with God and if she didn’t spend time with Him she would be lost. She truly depends on prayer and her time with God as a lifeline. Yesterday, I wrote about how it is easy for us to depend on our skills and talents to get us through, but deep down we know that is not enough. I can look back at times when I made good decisions and attribute it to the fact that I had spent time praying to God about the decision. Today I want to look at someone who, like Nehemiah, depended on prayer. Please read Daniel 6:1-11 if you have not already.

As I was reading through this chapter, there were so many applications packed in this story, but the one that I want to focus on is Daniel’s dependence on God which resulted in a regular prayer life. Because I do not want to lose focus, I am not asking you to read the entire story, but I encourage you to read the whole story at some point because it is wonderful to see how God worked in this situation. What I want to focus on is how Daniel’s dependence on God affected his leadership; in fact, he led so well that other leaders became jealous of him and began a plot to destroy him. They couldn’t find anything that they could charge him with because he led a life of integrity, so they had to trap him with something by making it against the law. As they observed Daniel, they noticed that he spent time in prayer three times a day and they knew that he would not stop praying even if it became a law. These men convinced the king to make it a law that no one should pray to anyone but the king for a month. What was Daniel’s reaction? Please look at verses 10-11. Daniel went home and asked God for help!

Daniel needed that time with God, so much that he broke the unfair law to go to God for help. The jealous men knew that Daniel would go and pray so they went to his house to see him praying and trap him. I am stopping here because I want to point out that Daniel was so consistent with spending time with God, that the men that were trapping him knew when to go and find him praying. I also want to note that Daniel knew he needed God and still spent time with Him even when it was against the law. At this moment, we are told that Daniel was praying for help; and if you finish this story you will see how God answered. As I read this story, the question I ask myself is, “Do I depend on prayer as a lifeline? Do I need my time with God?” In my marriage, my husband and I desire to spend time with each other that we have come to the point of needing to be with each other. I want to be that way with God. I want to crave and need my time with Him. I want to long for Him the way the Psalmist wrote in Psalm 42:1-2, “As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?"

Do you need to spend time with God? Do you depend on Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.