Monday, July 26, 2010

Week 5, Day 1 - How To Pray For Others

Colossians 1:9-14

My husband’s Grandma spent her time in prayer every day. She prayed for her immediate family, she prayed for her children, her grandchildren, and her great-grandchildren. She prayed for people in her church, her neighborhood, and for friends of friends. She prayed for missionaries and wrote them letters of encouragement. When I began dating my husband, she prayed for me and when we were married she prayed for me and my husband that our marriage would stay firm. She was a beautiful example of prayer. When she passed away, my husband felt as if he lost his greatest prayer warrior and I understood how he felt because we knew that she was always praying for us. In his letters, Paul gave us some wonderful examples of what to pray for people; please turn to Colossians 1:9-14.

I want to look at some of the things Paul prayed over the Colossians and see how we can be praying those very things in the lives of the people we know. Verse 9 says, “…and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of His will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding.” Wow! Just that prayer alone is amazing to me because Paul is praying for wisdom and understanding so that they can know and understand God’s will. When we pray that for a person, we are asking God to give them a beautiful gift so they can make wise choices in their lives and avoid the consequences of poor choices. Paul then spends some time explaining the outcome of such a prayer in the next several verses, “And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way…” In my opinion, there really is no better prayer to pray over someone or yourself so that we can please God in every way. I want to live a life worthy of the Lord, and I want everyone in my circle of influence to do so as well!

Reading further on we see that pleasing God in every way includes:

· Bearing fruit in every good work
· Growing in the knowledge of the Lord
· Being strengthened with all power according to His glorious might
· Having great endurance and patience
· Able to joyfully give thanks to God

Asking God to fill those we care about (and those who have hurt us) with the knowledge of His will through spiritual wisdom and understanding is a prayer that can change a person’s life! We do not have the knowledge to know where a person’s heart is or where God may be leading them, but we do know that when we pray that a person understands God’s will, we are praying a good prayer for that person.

Are you praying for the people in your life? Are you praying that they understand God’s will?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.