Friday, August 20, 2010

Week 2, Day 3 - An Introduction

Acts 4:1-22

The other day, a friend and I were talking about how our minds go blank when we introduce people. I know this has happened to me and it is a strange sensation because often times I may be introducing people that I may not hang out with but I’ve engaged in several conversations with them and know them by name yet my mind blanks when I go to do an introduction. On the flip side, I have never forgotten my husband’s, children’s, or best friend’s name during an introduction. Maybe this is because they are such a huge part of my life that I know their name even when I am nervous. The story I am looking at makes me think of how well do we know Jesus when we introduce Him; please look up Acts 4:1-22.

This section of scripture is another extension of the original story I looked at when Peter and John healed the beggar in chapter 3. They spoke of Jesus in Solomon’s Colonnade and that is where we pick up today. The priest and Sadducees had Peter and John arrested and brought them before the religious leaders the next day. I love the question they ask them; it is if they are asking for an introduction: “By what power or name did you do this?” We read that Peter is filled with the Holy Spirit (verse 8) when he answered and proclaimed the name of Jesus in verse 10. He didn’t give a big speech, but what he said was powerful. He didn’t shy away from the introduction and this is the same man who denied him just months before! What is the difference? Peter is emboldened by the Holy Spirit.

When Peter denied Christ, he was not empowered by the Holy Spirit and he was afraid. I am amazed how God took that weakness of fear of the religious leaders and empowered him to stand before them with boldness to proclaim the name of Jesus. God takes our weakness and makes us strong so that we can witness the empowerment of the Holy Spirit. That empowering the Holy Spirit gives us allows us to introduce others to Christ. Another key to Peter’s introduction of Christ is that he knew Jesus. I’m not just talking about the fact that he was His disciple; Peter knew who Jesus is. Peter knew that Jesus is God and He is the only way to salvation.

We can know Christ intimately as well. When we spend time in prayer and in the Bible, we build our relationship with Him. When our intimacy is deeper and we are empowered by the Holy Spirit, we can give an introduction to Christ that is powerful and effective. Not everyone will listen as we see in this story, but the truth can be given in love.

Do you know Christ? When given the opportunity, are you introducing him with power of the Holy Spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.