Saturday, September 4, 2010

Week 4, Day 4 - God's Lead

Acts 8:26-40

I am currently reading the book, Wild Goose Chase by Mark Batterson who writes that we need to follow the Holy Spirit’s direction, even if it doesn’t make sense at first. While I am only on the second chapter of the book, I have already found it challenging me to throw away the things that hinder my ability to follow the Spirit’s direction. I am currently reading the book as part of a team project, but I love how God’s timing of the book went with my personal Bible study. Please read another part of Philip’s story in Acts 8:26-40.

Before I jump in with my main point, I just want to say that it must have been really strange for the eunuch when Philip disappeared. And I also wonder what it was like for Philip being whisked away from the spot! What really stuck out at me after reading the first chapter of Wild Goose Chase and then reading about this event was the fact that Philip just followed and obeyed what God told him to do. He had no idea why he needed to walk on that desert road, but he did it anyway. God does that to us sometimes. He may ask us to do something that doesn’t seem to be a part of the plans that we had or maybe it just doesn’t make sense, but our obedience can lead us to a great adventure. In Philip’s case, he was led to walk the road and then led again to go to the eunuch. Philip was willing and had an opportunity to explain about Christ to the eunuch and baptize him!

I think of the missed opportunities I may have had because I felt a nudge and didn’t follow it because it just didn’t make sense. There have also been some incredible experiences I have had because I did jump in and follow the Spirit’s lead. Sometimes it may not seem like a pleasant experience like, “take a walk on the desert road,” but it is worth following the lead because we are about to have an adventure. Not every adventure is going to be huge, but life will not be boring. I once was at a conference where the author, Donald Miller was speaking. Without directly quoting him, he spoke a message that has since come back to my mind and challenged me often. His message basically said that if we are not living a life that is worth writing about or putting into a movie, we are not living the life God wants us to live. The point isn’t that we are to draw all attention to ourselves, but God wants us to live a life that is doing something. We need to be living a story worth telling. Philip followed God’s lead and had a story worth telling.

Where is your passion? What has God given you a “righteous anger” about? Are you following His lead and bracing for an adventure?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.