Thursday, September 30, 2010

Week 5, Day 4 - Stand In God's Way

Acts 11:1-18

When God works, it doesn’t always make sense to us but we need to trust Him and follow His direction. Today’s scripture is a recap of what I looked at yesterday regarding Peter and Cornelius; however, God must have felt it important that we hear the story a couple of different ways in order for us to completely understand. A lesson that I looked at yesterday was the fact that God had gone to great lengths to ensure that Cornelius would learn of His love for Him. Something else that I hadn’t looked at in great detail was the fact that God had declared the Gentiles clean. This allowed Peter to enter Cornelius’ home and allow him to tell him about Christ. Please look at the story in Peter’s words in Acts 11:1-18.

Peter had begun to tell his story because he met great criticism from the believers for going into the house of a Gentile. Something this story has made me reflect on is this question: What do I consider unclean (or unapproachable) that prevents me from reaching out to a person who needs Christ? Maybe it is going to a place I do not consider safe or appropriate. Maybe I’m uncomfortable with a particular person. For Peter, this meant that he had to throw away a rule he had followed all his life to not enter the house of a Gentile. Can you imagine if Peter would have continued to shout out, “unclean!” to God after God had said, “Clean.”

I am reading from the NLV today, and I love what Peter says in verse 17, “And since God gave these Gentiles the same gift he gave us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to stand in God’s way?” Who am I to stand in God’s way? I need to examine my life and think deeper on what I could possibly be doing to stand in God’s way. Maybe I’m standing in the way of what He wants to do in me! Am I really as prideful and as bold as to assume that I have a better way and I understand the situation better than God?

Take the time to examine and see if there are road blocks you are trying to put in God’s way. Where do you need to step aside and let God do what He does best?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.