Saturday, October 2, 2010

Week 5, Day 5 - React Like a Christian

Acts 11:19-30

Several weeks ago, I looked at how the stoning of Stephen precipitated some events that actually grew and strengthened the church rather than weaken it. The section of scripture that I am looking at today goes back to the fact that the believers were scattered as a result of Stephen's stoning. I am going to interrupt my thoughts for a moment and just praise God for the fact that He took one event and made it change the world! Look at what verse 21 says about some of the scattered believers that began preaching to the Gentiles, "The power of the Lord was with them, and a large number of these Gentiles believed and turned to the Lord."

We begin to see Barnabas' story here when he traveled to Antioch and brought Saul with him. While they were there, the believer's were first called Christians. Isn't it neat to see the history of the name Christian. I certainly hope I live up to the name, Christian! These believers did as we see in verses 29-30 in reaction to hearing that other believers were going to be having a famine in their land. They sent relief to them through Barnabas and Saul. This made me think of Wild Goose Chase by Mark Batterson when he wrote how it is easier for a Christian to act like a Christian than to react like a Christian. I have been thinking on that idea for a few days and I would have to agree. It is so much easier to proactively say and do the "right things," but the world is unpredictable. I don't always react like a Christian - I don't always live out how Christ calls me to react. Do I react to difficult news and situations with the love of Christ in me?

How about you? Are you acting like a Christian or reacting like a Christian?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.