Sunday, January 16, 2011

Breathe


2 Timothy 3:16-17

The last few weeks have certainly been interesting for me! We traveled to Michigan and Illinois to visit relatives over Christmas. After returning home for a few days, my husband and I traveled to Florida for a pastor's conference and then had an opportunity to take a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas (thanks Mom!) which ended with a bang of being stranded in airports for 2 and a half days! Needless to say, I'm tired and have some catching up to do. Thankfully, my mother-in-law watched our children, so I came home to a clean home! My experience in the Bahamas lead me to my next memory verse for the year. Please turn to 2 Timothy 3:16-17.

The last memory verse was Psalm 90:14 where it talks of being satisfied with God's love. I had an interesting experience when we were on the cruise and went snorkeling. This was the first time I've been snorkeling and it took me a while to get used to breathing in the tube. I found myself in a small panic when I first stuck my face in the water and started breathing; it went against all that I knew about water and breathing. After a while, I began to trust that the tube would provide the air I needed to breath and that I would be okay. It was then that I was able to truly enjoy everything around me and see God's beautiful creation under water.
Our faith can sometimes feel a little like breathing under water. Sometimes God takes us out of our comfort and wants us to rely on Him in a new way. Just as I had never breathed under water before, God wants us to breath in His life in a whole new way. We know that scripture is God breathed and that we can rely on it for how we are to live no matter where God has placed us. Psalm 90:10 says, "Those who know your name trust in you, for you, O Lord, do not abandon those who search for you." So, even if we feel like God put us in a place where we are under water we can know that God will not leave us stranded in the ocean with no way to breathe; we just need to trust in the devices He has given us to breathe.

Does God want to take your faith to a new place? Where is He having you depend on Him in a new way?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.