Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Don't Take Yourself Too Seriously

Micah 6:8

Over the last two days, I have explored how we humans like to make resolutions at the beginning of each year. As I have thought about it, God doesn't want this sudden change to happen in us once a year; He wants continual change to happen in our hearts. Yesterday I looked in Titus at how God wants a change in our heart to be a desire to do good. Without that desire to do good and please God, we never will do good and please Him. I explored how we really don't accidentally do good but that it takes a conscious effort on our part to do good. It isn't easy to do good, while it really doesn't take much thought at all to make poor decisions. One of the verses that God put in front of me today was Micah 6:8, which is one of my favorite verses. Since I do have this one memorized in the NIV, I wanted to look at how the Message paraphrased it. Please look at it with me.

God has already laid out the plan for how we are to live. Micah 6:8 tells us to be fair and just, to be compassionate and loyal in our love, and to be humble. The Message says, "Don't take yourself too seriously - take God seriously." I take myself too seriously more often than I'd like to admit. In all honesty, it is when I take myself too seriously that I see my attitude get in the way. In fact, that is when I struggle with being fair, just and compassionate. I am looking at me and not at God. If I looked at God and took Him more seriously, I wouldn't have the other struggles. Often, it is the things that don't matter in the scope of eternity that I take too seriously. I need to make the effort to look at how God sees the situation and not how it effects me.

Where do you find you are taking yourself too seriously?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.