Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A New Start

Titus 2:11-14

I shared with you yesterday that I was planning on memorizing two verses a month throughout this year. It may not sound like a huge deal; however, it is an improvement over what little I have been doing. I am not doing this as a resolution; I am making a lifestyle change that I want to last. It did make me think of resolutions. I don't make resolutions because they are usually made up of great ideas and goals that are just not realistic to meet. The most successful I have been at making a positive change in my life is when I have been fed up with the road I am traveling. It most often does not happen at the beginning of the year; I have made major changes at different times. One major change was to start this blog, which has been a very positive change in my life. Another change was when I went on a diet a few years ago and changed my eating habits.

Have you ever noticed that it is really easy to make negative changes without even thinking about it, but it is so difficult to make a change for the positive? It is like we don't have to think about doing something negative, but to live the life that God wants us to live requires a conscious effort on our part. We can read in Titus 2:11-14 where we are reminded that because of the sacrifice Christ made for us, we become "eager to do good." I am eager to do good; however, I sometimes fail at the follow-through. Verse 13 tells that God's grace helps us: "It teaches us to say 'No' to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age." We need to learn to say "no" to the negative behavior and to purposefully do what God desires in our lives. We will mess up along the way, but we can start fresh. This new year is a great reminder of how we can all pick ourselves up and try again. So, for me I am changing the lack of discipline for memorizing scripture and memorizing two verses each month. God can give me the grace I need to complete this task and make a lifestyle change!

Where would God like to see you change? What new "no" do you need to say and replace with a positive godly behavior?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.