Saturday, February 5, 2011

Hurry Up and Wait

Lamentations 3:22-26

This week I had an experience that took me back to Zambia in a sense. My husband and I had our day off as usual; however, we didn't go out to Toronto like we wanted to because we had an appointment with the cable guy. Now, we were told that he would arrive any time between 12 pm and 4 pm. When I asked if they would call first, the customer service rep. told me that he would just show up at the house. Okay, that's a little annoying, but I can handle being at home and relaxing. When 3:25 pm rolled around, I had to leave the house to pick up my daughter from play practice while my husband stayed home. That didn't seem like that would be a problem. WRONG! While I was picking up my daughter, the cable guy called my cell phone to see if we were home, and for some reason my phone didn't ring the call through. It registered as a missed call with "Private Number" for the call back number. Hmm. He tried again and once again the call didn't go through. He decided not to come to our house and finished up for the day. I was furious, because my husband called the company to tell them we were indeed home and they told us we would have to reschedule (even though it wasn't 4:00 p.m.). I verbalized my frustration with my family enough that my children have already made jokes about how they better listen to me or I'll treat them like the cable guy. At least I'm smiling now...even though I still don't have internet.

This reminded me of Zambia because we did a lot of waiting while we were there. We were constantly at the mercy of the bus driver or our guide or the unpredictable electricity. There was nothing we could do but wait, even if we rushed through breakfast to be ready on time. Even after waiting, we saw that things still didn't necessarily go as planned; the electricity wasn't going to return just because we were prepared and did everything on our end the right way. We learned that our American rushed life isn't the way the rest of the world lives, and that may not be so bad. In fact, there could be value in learning to wait; there are many scripture references to "waiting on the Lord." Please look up Lamentations 3:22-26. "It is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord." You see, we can't do anything that will improve our status with God. We wait for His mercy, which He promises to those who believe.

Has the Lord been wanting you to wait?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.