Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Love as Jesus Loved


I love how God put pieces together to form an over-arching theme in our lives. Over the last few days He has been showing me that as Christians we are not going to be comfortable if we are to live the lives that Christ modeled for us. Of course, today as I logged on to blogger to begin writing my post, the verse of the day jumped out at me (which was yesterday's verse by the time this is posted). Please look up John 13:34-35 and see what God was putting in front of me. I do not look at this as merely coincidence because this is a theme I keep finding in front of me for the last week. A week ago today, I was in the bookstore and saw a book that caught my attention. It is the book, Radical by David Platt. I read some of it in the store and became intrigued to the point where I finally ordered it late last week and I should have it in my hands tomorrow. The basic premise is that we try to fit Christianity into the American Dream, which doesn't work so well.

John 13:34-35 isn't a new idea to me; in fact, I have even posted about it when I was blogging about love during my study on the Fruit of the Spirit. It is just that God has taken me new places since then and even though I still agree with what I wrote about before, I understand that to love the way Christ loves requires radical behavior and radical change. God has shown me the people He loves that are hungry, impoverished, and ill. How can I love them? What can I do that is radical?

I came upon this awesome video clip by Francis Chan where he challenges us into action. Christ didn't say to sit on our couches and think about loving; He said to go and love people. Please watch the following video:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.