Monday, February 28, 2011

Mercy

Titus 3:4-7

Last week I began looking at Micah 6:8 which says, "He has shown you, oh mortal, what is good.  And what does the LORD require of you?  To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."  I had started out by looking at the context in which this was written and discovered that the author was wondering what to bring to God.  The author mused with a few ideas of what gift would be appropriate and finally revealed that God wants us to act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with our God.  I explored justice for a few difficult days last week, and this week I want to dig into mercy.  After praying about it, I really felt that in order to understand how to love mercy, we need to remind ourselves of God's mercy for us.  Please look up Titus 3:4-7.

I think it is really easy for us Christians to forget that we cannot do anything that will justify ourselves before God.  The only thing that will make us right with God is His incredible mercy.  Talking about justice and even showing justice will not fix all our sin; only Christ's amazing love for us could bring Himself to take our punishment.  Please let the truth of His mercy wash over you right now.  He knew that we would hurt Him and that our hearts are disobedient, yet He still chose to show us mercy.  We have no right to the hope of eternal life, yet we have been extended the beautiful gift of His mercy.

Dictionary.com defines mercy as, "the discretionary power of a judge to pardon someone or to mitigate punishment."  When we believe in the cleansing power of Christ's blood, we are given a pardon from the punishment of death and are given the hope of eternal life.  I never want to forget His mercy; I do not want to take my salvation for granted.

Do you remember the mercy God has extended to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.