Monday, March 7, 2011

Humility

Proverbs 22:4

When I first started blogging two weeks ago about Micah 6:8, I didn't realize God was going to send me on a three week study.  I'm glad He did because these are things I so desperately needed to be reminded of!  I need to be reminded that He has called me to act justly because there is a lot of injustice in this world.  I need to be reminded to love mercy because my human tendencies reverts to judgement and offence.  This week I am looking at humility which I pray will chip away at the pride in my heart.  Oh to remember that God is God and I am the created not the creator!  I found a great definition of humility in Proverbs 22:4; please look it up.


"Humility is the fear of the LORD."  I remember when I was a 4th grade student at a Lutheran school, I had to memorize parts of the Catechism, which included Martin Luther's definitions of the Ten Commandments.  Each definition began with, "We should fear and love God."  As I was working on memorizing the definitions, I asked my mom why we needed to be afraid of God; I couldn't understand why I had to be afraid of Him when I was taught that He loved me.  Trying to explain a complex thought to a nine year old, my mom finally said, "It means we need to respect Him."  I think C.S. Lewis sums it up well in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when Lucy asks Mr. Beaver if Aslan is safe.  Mr. Beaver replies that he is a lion - a wild beast.  Even though he is good doesn't mean he is safe.

God loves us dearly; He created us!  But I think sometimes that we focus so much on how much He loves us, that we forget who He is.  He is all powerful and the King of all Kings; He is the creator of everything!  He is holy.  Don't forget Isaiah's reaction when he found himself in God's presence (Isaiah 6:5); he was undone.  Humility is remembering who God is.  God wants us to walk with Him, but He wants us to walk with Him in humility.

Have you thought about how amazing God is lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.