Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Wisdom From Humility

Proverbs 11:2

Some of the biggest mistakes I have made has stemmed from pride.  Currently my husband and I are paying off debt from financial mistakes we made years ago, which had really started in pride.  The reality is that there were times when we were making very little money; however, we were too embarrassed to tell our friends that we didn't have enough money to go out with them.  We let our pride take us away from sound financial decisions, which has caused years of stretching the dollar to pay off the debt.  Please turn to Proverbs 11:2.

I can say on the flip side, some of the best decisions I have made have been when I have humbly sought after God and asked for His wisdom.  When I am not worried about what others will think of me, I am able to make wise choices.  God tells us in this Proverb that when we are humble we will have wisdom.  It makes sense when you think about it.  When we are humbly seeking God's direction knowing that we are incapable of making wise choices on our own, God will give us the wisdom to know how to handle whatever situation we may be in.

Proverbs 15:32-33 gives us another connection between wisdom and humility.  We need God's correction to gain wisdom, and that wisdom will teach us to respect God.  That respect for God will show in our humility.  You have to admit, when you are corrected about something and truly listen, you are humbled.  It is like that with God.  We are reminded in our walk with Him that we are far from perfect which is very humbling.  I am not talking about an unhealthy humility where we feel worthless, because the Bible tells us that we are of great worth to God (Luke 12:4-8).  This is a humility that understands that without God, we would not be here.  Knowing who God is should bring us to a place of trust and respect that we will listen to His wisdom.

Are you making choices out of pride or humility?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.