Thursday, March 17, 2011

Repairer Of Broken Walls

Isaiah 58:9-12

About five years ago, I broke and sprained my ankle.  Since I am not so young (although I'm also NOT old), it took some time to heal.  What I found was that the healing process actually can bring pain.  I dealt with a lot of swelling, which in some ways was a blessing because it kept my bones from shifting; however, the swelling caused a lot of discomfort.  After I was told that I could bear weight on that ankle I realized that weak muscles cause a lot of pain and swelling as well.  I had to exercise the ankle and leg every day to rebuild the muscle, which caused more pain and swelling (of course).  It seemed like a long time going through it, but the reality was that I was unable to bear weight for six weeks and had physical therapy for another six weeks.  Really that was only twelve weeks, but it sure felt longer.  God does the same with us spiritually.  Healing requires some spiritual exercise; please look at Isaiah 58:9-12.

God gives us a guide for healing that really works.  There are two things happening in this section of scripture with the first being a healing of the society and culture.  Imagine what would happen in America or even the world if we all followed what God is saying in this section of scripture.  Imagine a society with no oppression and people cared about the poor.  Imagine a world with no judgmental attitudes.  There really would be a healing in the land.  The other thing that I think is happening in this section of scripture is spiritual healing, but it takes work.  I have found that focusing on helping others brings a perspective and healing for our own lives.  We are able to heal from our own past hurts as we focus on the needs of others.  We repair the broken walls in our lives and relationships.

I love the promise in verses 11 and 12, "The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins and will raise up the age-old foundations; you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls, Restorer of Streets with Dwellings."  Are you as overwhelmed as I am at the promise in these verses?  God is promising not only a healing and satisfaction, but He is also promising that we will be a "repairer of broken walls."  We all have broken walls and ancient ruins that need restoration and repair around us.  God has given us the blueprints to repair the damage!

Do you want to be a "repairer of broken walls?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.