Monday, March 21, 2011

Spiritual Milk


Last week I began a journey of studying about fasts.  All week, I focused on Isaiah 58, where God was explaining to the Israelites the kind of fasting He wants to see.  As I spent the week looking at Isaiah 58, I learned that the fast is more about how our hearts are supposed to be changing rather than the act of abstinence itself.  I saw that God wants to see our eyes looking at the world around us as He sees the world; He wants us to see the hurting and oppressed.  God wants us to help those who cannot help themselves.  Today, even before I began writing this post, I really felt God impressing on my heart the fact that we are to learn how much we need Him.  We can learn that God is everything we need.  Please look up 1 Peter 2:2-3.

Have you ever fed a hungry baby?  When a baby is very hungry and needs milk, they drink it voraciously as if there will never be another drop left on earth.  When that young baby is hungry, there is no comforting that baby until it receives its milk; the baby will continue to cry louder and louder until he/she is fed.  That is the same way that God wants us to desire His word, His truth.  He wants us to live life as though we would never make it through a day without it.  Peter wrote that we are to "crave spiritual milk" so that we can grow in our walk with God.

The Psalms gives us some references to "tasting" and delighting in God.  Psalm 34:8 says, "Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him."  Psalm 119:102-104 says, "I have not departed from your laws, for you yourself have taught me. How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path."  We can see that when we crave after God and His Word, we will be satisfied.

Dallan Forgaill, the author of the hymn, Be Thou My Vision, seemed to understand this thought.  Thanks to Mary E. Byrne and Eleanor H. Hull, Dallan's desire for God is something we can all sing today.  Please read through some of the beautiful verses:

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise;
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always;
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven's joys, O bright Heaven's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

Do you crave more of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.