Friday, April 8, 2011

God Is Big

2 Chronicles 20:1-30

Just before my husband was called into ministry we began looking for a house to buy.  I was pregnant with our third child in three years and we were living in a small duplex apartment.  We also had come to the conclusion that we were going to need a bigger vehicle because we didn't think we could successfully fit three car seats in the back seat of our car.  We found a modest home that would fit our family; however, we didn't think we could afford the house payments.  Feeling overwhelmed one day, I prayed and cried to God about how I didn't know how we were going to find a home or a larger vehicle.  As I was praying, God spoke to me and told me that before my baby was born, we would have a house and a van.  Within the next week, my husband received a call from a church that we attended when we were first married; they wanted him to apply for an associate pastor position.  He was offered the position and we were offered the church parsonage as part of his payment.  Shortly after the job offer, someone from the church called and asked us if we would like to buy their van for a price that we could afford.  It seemed impossible from my human eyes, but God gave to us what we needed before our baby was born.  God heard me that day, and He already had a plan.  I believe God enjoys amazing us!  The story I am looking at today is an amazing story of God's provision and protection; please look up 2 Chronicles 20:1-30.

As I was doing a little research on fasts, the only fast that God required in the Law was the Day of Atonement (Leviticus 23:27).  All the instances of fasting that I have looked at this week were to seek God for help.  Today, we see how Judah was going to be attacked from several countries and Jehoshaphat called for all of Judah to fast.  He then prayed with the country an amazing prayer to God to ask for help in a situation that seemed impossible.  God told them to stand firm and to march down but they would not have to fight this battle.  That probably didn't make a lot of sense; however, the faith that all of Judah showed in verses 18 and 19 was amazing.  Their response wasn't one of doubt; it was a response of absolute praise.  Even as they prepared to march down, they continued to praise God.  While they were praising, God caused a confusion and each country battled each other and no one was left alive!

I have been struck how that hasn't been my initial response lately when God tells me things are going to be done in a way that doesn't make sense.  I know that my faith is weak at times and I want to fix things on my own in a way that seems to make sense from a human perspective.  But God doesn't want me to look at my battles with human eyes; He wants me to trust Him and watch the amazing work He wants to do.  Just as I have seen earlier in the week, we need to approach God's throne with the confidence that He wants to intervene on our behalf.  When we are fasting, we can face our circumstances with a boldness of knowing that God is so much bigger.

Do you believe God is bigger?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.