Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Be Strong and Courageous

Joshua 1:1-9

When there is a change in personnel at work, things can get awkward.  Perhaps you were in a situation where your direct supervisor left, and you were then put in charge.  This could be daunting, especially if you felt like your boss was doing a great job and no one could possibly fill their shoes.  Whatever the reason, your supervisor's boss felt that you would be able to step in and do the job but it still can be intimidating to be in that position.  Joshua found himself in a very similar situation.  Moses had been leading the Israelites out of Egypt and in the desert for 40 years.  He had a close and personal relationship with God and was a strong, yet humble leader.  Moses died and God told Joshua that he would now be leading the Israelites.  Please read Joshua 1:1-9.

As I am looking at the Armor of God, the first verse in that section is Ephesians 6:10 which says, "Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power."  The words "be strong and courageous" are mentioned three times within a few verses in Joshua 1:1-9 when God was giving leadership instructions to Joshua.  Joshua was given a huge task - to lead the Israelites into the Promised Land, where they were going to have to win some victories.  God promised them the land; however, He knew that Joshua was going to need encouragement because the battles were going to seem overwhelming at times.  I also noticed that God gave Joshua some clear instructions on how he was to live and lead God's people.

God explained to Joshua that he was to follow the law and instructions that Moses left him and to not deviate from them even just a little.  God promised Joshua that his success would come from his knowledge of the Law and obedience; Joshua was to meditate on the law day and night so he could be sure to walk in full obedience.  I have been on a journey this year to make scripture memorization a priority in my faith walk and I have already seen the difference it has made for me.  I think it is safe to say that God has used every single verse I have memorized to make changes in my life both big and small.  Having the Word of God in my heart is changing my heart.  I have even found that taking the time to meditate on those verses has made them more a part of who I am.  I am recognizing more of God's strength in me because of his Word doing its marvelous work in me.  Knowing and meditating on scripture is how we stay strong; it is our spiritual weight lifting.  We will not understand God's power unless we meditate on the scriptures He gave to us.

Are you reading the Bible everyday?  Would you be willing to start memorizing scripture as part of your spiritual fitness plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.