Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Commit To the Lord

Acts 14:21-28

Yesterday, I looked at the commissioning of Paul and Barnabas and how they fasted and were prayed over by their fellow Christians.  Prayer is so important and powerful but there also needs to be a commitment of trust when following God's lead.  The story I am looking at today involves Paul and Barnabas appointing elders in the churches of Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch.  Please look up Acts 14:21-18.

Two times in this section of scripture I noticed the word, committed.  As I looked up the definition of the word, commit there was a definition that stuck out at me.  According to dictionary.com, definition 4 is, "to entrust, especially for safekeeping."  I think that is an important part of a calling; the ability to trust God for His protection and guidance.  God has been pointing out to me more and more where I am lacking trust and trying to do things on my own.  The problem is, whenever I find myself doing that, I usually am not fixing the situation; I am usually making it worse.  I need to trust God that He will always guide me in a way that is best.

Proverbs 16:3 says, "Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans."  What an amazing promise!  That is one of my memory verses that I picked out for this year, and I had no idea how much it was going to mean to me later.  When I was memorizing that verse, I wasn't thinking about committing  my plans to God meant that I was entrusting them to God.  What a difference it makes to look at that verse and say, "Entrust everything you do to God and He will establish your plans."  I love it!  When we fast and pray, we need to trust God's plan that He shares with us.

Are you entrusting your plans with God?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.