Saturday, April 2, 2011

Memory Verses

1 Corinthians 15:58

Since it is a Saturday and I usually do not post on the weekends, I just wanted to update you on the progress of my memory verses.  I am doing my memory verses as part of an online community on Beth Moore's blog, which is providing some accountability.  In this community, on the 1st and 15th of each month we pick out a new verse to work on for the next few weeks.  She does not assign a verse, we choose one that God is laying on our hearts.  I just wanted to testify what God has done in me through this exercise.

When I first embarked on this adventure, I was wondering how I would choose a verse each time.  Any time I have done scripture memorization, it has always been verses that were already chosen for me either through a Bible study or some other program.  But what I have been finding over the last three months is that God's timing is amazing and I find that I am picking out the next verse a day or two before we check in.  The last few verses have been used by God to personally speak to me in very meaningful ways.  This time I picked a verse, but then another very timely and meaningful verse came to me.  I've been struggling with my attitude over the last two days and the second verse spoke to my heart, so I wanted to share it with you just in case you've been struggling as well.  It is 1 Corinthians 15:58: "Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."  Hmm...boy did I need to hear that yesterday!


I love that we serve a God who gives us gentle reminders of whose we are.  Even though in a certain situation I was truly feeling like my work was in vain, God was reminding me it wasn't!  What a beautiful word of encouragement!  We are all there sometimes where we can feel like we're running in circles but when we are doing our work with an attitude of doing it for God we are not working in vain.  Colossians 3:23-24 says, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."  We are servants of Christ!  What an honor to be serving the King of Kings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.