Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Prepare To Be Sent

Acts 13:1-3

Shortly after my husband I moved to our current home, I felt God calling me to fast and pray for my family.  I began by fasting for my family and found myself being blessed through the experience.  It was through that fast that I began this blog.  Since we had just moved, I knew very few people and I wanted to have some friends praying for me while I was fasting.  I was reading through the book of Nehemiah during my fast, so I updated my friends back in Michigan on what God was doing in my life by writing this blog.  It became such a beautiful practice in my life that I continued to write this blog even after my fast was over.  God has done a wonderful work in my life because I have found that my Bible study has deepened as a result of writing out my thoughts each day.  I now see that God prepared me for a new journey through that fast and my friends' prayers.  Today I read about some individuals who were fasting and God sent them on a journey; please read Acts 13:1-3.

As I read these few verses, I found myself wondering what they were fasting for.  We are not told any details except that they were fasting and praising God.  Maybe they felt God leading them to fast; maybe they were fasting because of the political environment they were living in (Acts 12).  Whatever the reason may have been, God used that fast to prepare them for their calling.  I think there is something to be said when you fast and come to rely on God more that you feel more prepared when He calls you to do something you have never done before.  Either way, Paul and Barnabas didn't just take off when they were called, they were prayed over by their fellow believers first.

I have a dear friend who I know prays for me often.  I only get to see her a few times a year because of distance; however, we pray for each other's families and continue to pray for each other as we serve God.  I think fasting is a wonderful time to get connected with God on a deeper level and to help prepare us for the next steps ahead, but I also think it is important to have a covering of prayer.  There is so much power in prayer and we would be missing a vital step if we were not spending time in prayer for ourselves and our loved ones.  Life isn't easy and neither is serving God; however, when we have friends backing us in prayer we are better able to face the difficulties.

Do you pray?  Do you have a friend praying for you?  Are you praying for a friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.