Friday, April 22, 2011

Sacrifice

John 19

Imagine a man who wanted nothing but to love on each and every person and had never committed a sin.  Imagine him spending His last hours with His closest friends and then praying for Himself, His friends, and everyone who was going to believe.  Imagine Him being betrayed by one who was close to Him and being led to a trial that was nothing but a lie.  Imagine the Jewish leaders involving the secular rulers because they didn't have the authority to kill Him themselves.  At any point in this scenario, Christ could have given it all up and demand that they all free Him.  He didn't.  Even though none of what was happening to Him was fair, He chose to go through it all because of His amazing love for all of us.  Please turn to John 19.

Pilate knew that there was nothing that Jesus was guilty of other than to ruffle the feathers of the religious leaders; however, he was also afraid of the crowd.  His fear of the crowd overruled his ability to administer true justice; however, this was all part of God's plan.  Jesus told Pilate in verse 11, "...You would have no power over me at all unless it were given to you from above."  In order to give us a chance to have eternal life, Christ allowed Himself to be crucified.  Here is what Christ said about those who believe in John 10:28-30, "I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.  I and the Father are one.”  


You are a part of that plan; Christ loves you.  Jesus was perfect - without sin, yet He paid the punishment for all our sins.  His sacrifice is the ultimate gift of love expressed to each of us.  He did not die because He wanted to make a point; He died so you and I wouldn't have to suffer an eternal death.  There is so much more to the story of His amazing love and victory and I am going to write one more post for the week to tell the rest.  I hope you join me tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.