Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Christ Is the Peace Giver

John 14:26-27

A few days ago, I wrote how I struggle with worry and anxiety which often has its roots in me trying to control situations that I often have no control over.  There are times; however, where I have experienced a peace that had no explanation other than God.  In the past, I have heard stories from missionaries that sounded scary and I was amazed at how the missionaries had so much faith.  But, while I was in Zambia, I had the opportunity to experience peace from God that allowed me to pray for the rest of the team.  We were sleeping in a remote village and in the middle of the night I woke up to hear people outside surrounding our building.  They were trying to curse us; however, God had given me a peace and I knew that we were protected by Him.  Instead, I found myself praying that the rest of the team would not wake up and for God's continued protection. It was amazing to know that we were safe in God's arms and that I could continue to rest peacefully.  Please look at a promise Christ left about peace in John 14:26-27.

Jesus promised that He would leave a gift of peace of mind and heart.  I just think of what a beautiful gift that is because when we struggle with worry and anxiety it can paralyze us.  Worry and anxiety will cause us to not think clearly and we will either react to situations poorly or not react at all.  However, Christ promised peace of mind and heart which empowers us to think clearly and trust God to move in all our situations.  In John 16:33 we are reminded of why we can have peace:  "I have told you this so you will have peace in me.  Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows.  But take heart because I have overcome the world."  Christ has all authority over everything in this world.

The other piece that I want to put together is the promise that God would send the Holy Spirit to be with us (John 14:26).  Please read what Romans 8:5-6 says about what the Holy Spirit in our lives.  Letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace.  I have been learning how so much of fear, anxiety and worry starts with an unhealthy thought process, where peace comes from healthy thoughts.  We think on the things that the Spirit wants us to think of and we will experience the peace that can only come from God.  Please look up Philippians 4:6-9.  Things will go wrong around us; however, God promises us that when we fix our eyes on Him and the good things that come from Him we will have peace in the midst of our circumstances.

Have you fixed your thoughts on all that is good?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.