Sunday, May 15, 2011

Memory Verse #10

1 Peter 2:9-10

Growing up, my mom bought me a plaque to hang on my bedroom wall that had my name, it's meaning, and a scripture verse to go with it.  According to the plaque, my name means princess.  Anywhere else I have looked to find a meaning to my name says that it means "a plain in Israel."  That's not so exciting, so maybe the makers of the plaque felt they needed to give my name a new meaning.  The makers of the plaque put the verse 1 Peter 2:9 under my name and meaning.

The only problem was that they only put the first half of 1 Peter 2:9 so all I knew was that I was part of a royal priesthood.  So many years of looking at that verse and not knowing the rest of the story: "God's special possession."  I love that!  But it goes on!  "...that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light."  How wonderful is that!?  The salvation we receive through Christ makes us a part of a new family.  That is why I am also memorizing verse 10, because without Christ we are wandering alone; however, with Christ we are now a people of God who have received mercy.

We belong to God as His special possession!  It is so wonderful to belong.  When I was in middle school, I was so insecure and I was dealing with my parents' divorce and other difficult situations.  At school I had a few friends, but I never really felt like I belonged.  I had no idea, even though I was Christian and attending a Christian school, that I belonged to someone so much bigger.  I knew God loved me and I had a good relationship with Him, but I just didn't understand that I was His special possession.  It feels so good to belong.  So, even if my name means a plain in Israel rather than princess, I belong to the Most High God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.