Monday, May 23, 2011

Peace

Ephesians 6:10-18

I worry.  For as long as I can remember I have worried.  When I was in grade school, I worried about my homework and whether or not I got it right.  It didn't matter that I got all A's in school - that almost seemed to amplify those worries because I had a standard to keep.  In high school I worried about friends and going to work and having time to complete my homework.  In college I worried about getting good grades and having time to practice to keep up with all the other music majors.  During my internship, I worried about doing a good job.  As a wife I worried about being a good and supportive wife to my husband.  As a mother, I worried about my children and their safety and whether I could spend enough time with them.  The list goes on and on!  Most of what I worry about now are things completely out of my control, so there's no use in worrying about them; however, it is a life-time habit that I am learning to break. While I still struggle with worry, I have learned to have a better perspective on life and I am still learning to hand things over to God.  One by one, God is teaching me to hand them over to Him and I am learning that putting on the Armor of God helps fight against anxiety and worry.  Please look up Ephesians 6:10-18.

The verse I am focusing on this week is Ephesians 6:15, "For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared."  Peace.  What does peace mean to you?  As I did a little research on the word, peace, I found so many definitions!  The Greek word, eirēnē, is the word for peace used in this verse and it means peace, one, rest, and quietness.  I don't know about you, but I know that when I let anxiety take over, I cannot sleep; I am up late into the night letting my stomach churn over things I cannot change.  In reality, it is control.  I want to be able to control certain circumstances so I know the outcome; however, God wants me to relinquish all control over to Him.  When I find myself handing my worry over to God; I find that rest and quietness I so disparately need.

The word, eirēnē is also found in Philippians 4:6-7, "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.  Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all he has done.  Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand.  His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."  I see why peace is part of our armor; we are told that peace will guard our hearts and minds as we live in Christ Jesus.  For me, I think that if I have control I will have peace, but the reality is that when I recognize that God is in control I don't have to worry about the outcome.  It is like my children who have never worried about food, clothing, or shelter because as parents my husband and I take care of them.  God is our Heavenly Father and He knows our needs and He wants us to go to Him with our needs.

Do you give your worries to God?  Do you pray about everything?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.