Monday, May 16, 2011

Righteousness

Ephesians 6:10-18

As I am starting my fourth week of looking at the armor of God, I realized that it has been a while since I gave a link to the entire section of scripture to the armor of God.  Please look up Ephesians 6:10-18.  I know that these words already have new meaning to me as God has grown me in these first three weeks.  Every day that I look at the Bible to learn more about the Armor of God, I pray that God would help me continue to learn and grow and I pray that you also have a desire to grow in your walk with God as well.  I enjoy being in the Word and spending time in prayer with God - that is what sustains me through difficult times and gives me hope and joy during the peaceful times.  God's Word is life!

Last week, I looked at the belt of truth found in Ephesians 6:14 and looked at five basic truths that keep us grounded and standing firm.  We know that the Bible is true, Jesus is alive, Jesus is both God and man, God loves us, and God is just.  The Bible is so full of truthful nuggets and I could spend more time on important basic truths; however, I feel that these truths are areas that keep us grounded.  The greatest truth of all that I noticed was weaved into the five truths I looked at last week is that Christ came and died in our place and conquered death by rising again.  When we believe in Christ's sacrifice, we receive salvation as a gift of grace.  What an amazing, powerful, and beautiful truth that is so full of God's love for us!  The last truth I looked at last week was that God is just, which brings us to the next piece of armor we are to put on:  God's righteousness.

Righteousness is a HUGE topic that I do not feel qualified to cover, let alone discuss in one week's worth of posts.  I am not a pastor, nor have I received any formal Bible training; however, there are some wonderful resources that can help me.  I am also blessed enough to have a husband who is a pastor and since I also work at the church, I am surrounded by other pastors who are always happy to answer my questions.  Today, I just want to look at a basic description of righteousness so I can dig deeper as the week goes on.  Since Paul is the author of Ephesians, I am going to look to his writings to get an idea of what he meant by the word righteousness first.

Please look at what Paul wrote regarding righteousness in Philippians 3:8-9.  Paul writes that the only way to be righteous is through faith in Christ.  I find it interesting to think that since righteousness is only given to us through faith in Christ, how important it is to have one of the truths notched in our belt.  We need the belt of truth in order to put on the breastplate of righteousness.  This cannot be done in any other order because we have to have faith in the truth that Christ is the only one who can set us free of all sin through His sacrifice and resurrection.  It is not a mistake that the armor of God is listed in the order that Paul wrote.  I love the beauty of how God crafted His Word to us so we can believe and "be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God" (Ephesians 3:19b).  I can't wait to dig deeper this week and learn more about righteousness!

Are you wearing the breastplate of God's righteousness?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.