Thursday, May 26, 2011

Share Your Story of Peace


This verse is an interesting verse because I have seen it translated different ways that can give it a slightly different meaning.  I have not studied Greek; however, thanks to online tools such as BlueLetterBible.com, I am able to use the little I do understand and find the breakdown of the verse in Greek - word by word.  So I looked up this verse to see how it is worded in Greek, and I can see why there are different interpretations.  The bottom line is that peace provides an element of protection over our lives and we receive that peace from Christ.  Today, I am looking at the idea that peace makes us prepared with the Good News of the gospel.  Please look up Ephesians 6:15.

In his book, The Christian Atheist: Believing in God but Living As If He Doesn't Exist, Craig Groeshel shares a story about when he was younger and had an opportunity to share his faith with someone.  The person came up to him and just asked him for his story, and Craig shares that he found himself at a loss for words.  He stressed the importance of practicing your story so you are ready to share it with anyone.  So, I am going to share my story with you as part of my practice.

I grew up going to church in a Christian home; however, my dad was an alcoholic which led him to sexually abuse me.  A few years later when my mother found out, she divorced my dad and got me and my siblings out of a very unhealthy environment.  It wasn't until I was a teen that I struggled with what he had done and why God would allow it.  Even through all that; however, I somehow knew that God loved me and was with me.  As I learned to lean more on God as my Father, I was able to begin healing from the abuse and later abandonment that my dad had done.  I learned that I could ask God to help me forgive him and one day I realized that I was no longer angry and bitter and found myself praying for my dad.  Statistically, I am supposed to be broken and ashamed and in unhealthy relationships but my God has pulled me out of that pit!  I am whole only through the healing power of my Savior and Redeemer.

I could sit here for days to share everything else He has done in my life since then, but that is how I first experienced Him in such a real and powerful way.  How about you?  What is your story?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.