Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Stand Firm in Truth

Colossians 1:15-23

Every Christmas, my family gives me new slippers and I always find myself looking forward to receiving my new slippers because by the time Christmas rolls around my old slippers are getting holes in them.  I almost always have slippers on my feet at home because my feet get cold very easy.  This year, I received my new slippers; however, we also left the next day to visit family and I didn't pack my new slippers because they were still under the Christmas tree.  When we got back, I just kept putting on my old slippers out of habit until one of my children asked me why I wasn't wearing my new slippers.  Feeling silly, I pulled out the new slippers (which were much warmer on my feet) and threw away the old slippers.  I think we sometimes do that in our faith walk; we believe in Christ's sacrifice for us but then we go on and live life defeated and feeling guilty.  God has given us an immeasurable gift of mercy, grace, and salvation through Christ; please look up Colossians 1:15-23 and hear how Paul describes our wonderful gift.

I want to focus on verses 22 and 23 because we are reminded of an important truth about our relationship with God.  Because of Christ, we are reconciled with God and when He looks at us He sees His perfect children who He loves dearly.  If God sees us this way, why do we often heap coals of guilt on our heads?  Some of it is because it is hard to believe that after all the ways we have sinned, God looks at us as "holy and blameless."  Sometimes we are listening to the lies of condemnation that our enemy tells us.  In verse 23 Paul wrote, "But you must continue to believe this truth and stand firmly in it.  Don't drift away from the assurance you received when you heard the Good News."

Believing God's love for us helps us to stand firm; however, we also need to be sure that we are standing firm in truth.  As we read in Colossians 1, we see that an important truth is that Christ sacrificed for us and took our punishment even though He was perfect.  Through Christ's sacrifice, we have been reconciled with God.  The New International Version says that we are "without blemish and free from accusation."  This is a truth that never gets old to be reminded of because it is amazing!  It is also a truth that we need to stand firm in believing.

Do you believe that you stand before God free of accusation when you believe in the gift of salvation given to us through Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.