Tuesday, June 28, 2011

God's Nature

2 Peter 1:1-11

Do you have a close friend that knows you like no one else?  Perhaps it is your spouse or a childhood friend that has known you for years.  My husband knows me better than anyone else - he has seen the good and the bad and still continues to stick around with me.  He knows what brings me joy, and he also knows what gives me pain.  Without a doubt, the reason why he knows me so well is because of the amount of time we spend together.  The same holds true with God; the more time we spend with Him and in His Word the better we will understand who He is and what He expects from us.  We will better understand what brings Him joy and what brings Him pain.  Yesterday, I asked you to look at 2 Peter 1:1-11 and think about what the passage says about God and what it says we should do.  Today, I want to look at what it says about God.  Please read 2 Peter 1:1-11.

The first thing I notice the Bible says about God is that He is righteous.  The Greek word that is used for righteousness is dikaiosynÄ“ which means the condition that God finds acceptable.  It also means that something is the way it should be.  Without going into a huge theological dig into the word righteousness, I look at the idea of God's righteousness to mean that He is who He says He is.  He is true to Himself and is acceptable to Himself.  It makes me realize how that is so opposite of my human nature.  I like to please people and that caused me to behave in a way that was not my nature when I was in school.  God is always true to who He is and He does not change His nature to please people.  He does what is acceptable to Himself.  


The next thing I notice about God is that He has "divine power."  The Greek word for power is dynamis and according to the lexicon on BlueLetterBible.com it means "inherent power, power residing in a thing by virtue of its nature, or which a person or thing exerts and puts forth."  The word divine tells us that this power comes from His deity and His power is part of His nature.  This is the same power that created the world and the same power that raised Jesus from the dead.  This is power that is greater than anything and it is a part of who He is.


We are also told that He calls us to Him by His glory and excellence.  I once heard a pastor say that the word, glory, represents the essence of who God is.  His glory and excellence is what draws us to Him.  The Greek word, doxa is used for the word glory.  It means spendour and brightness (like a star).  It also means an opinion of someone and it is always used as a good opinion in the New Testament resulting in praise.  God's nature results in praise of Him.  I also noticed in this scripture about God is that He has given us great and precious promises.  Because we know that God is righteous, we can trust Him at His word; God will do what He promises.  Tomorrow, I would like to spend some time exploring some of what He has promised to us.  The last thing that sticks out to me about God is that He will give us a rich welcome into His eternal kingdom if we continue to follow His direction.  What that means to me is that He looks forward to welcoming His children home.

What a rich passage of scripture!  We are given such a beautiful view into God's nature in these eleven verses, and I have only scratched the surface of what we are told in this passage.  What I have read about God in these verses is that He is righteous and He calls men to Him by His very nature.  God has given us wonderful promises and we can trust that He will follow through.  God wants to welcome us into the eternal kingdom.  What a wonderful homecoming that will be!

Have you learned something new about God?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.