Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Guidance From the Holy Spirit

Luke 11:11-13

When I was in college, I had an experience that I will never forget.  I worked as a receptionist at the front desk of the dormitory I lived in.  Another girl who lived there knew I was a Christian, but she wanted nothing to do with Christianity.  At this point in time, she was taking a philosophy course which would explore some Christian beliefs; however, the class was being taught by an agnostic professor.  Needless to say, she wasn't really learning the truth of what was in the Bible.  She had just gotten back from class and came to the desk to collect her mail when she saw me and began to ask me questions about what she had learned in class that day.  The topic had her very upset and she couldn't understand how I could follow and believe in God.  I grew up in church all my life; however, until going to college, I had never really had my faith questioned.  An amazing thing happened to me in that moment, I felt an urging to tell her a story from the Bible that didn't seem to have anything to do with her question.  I had no idea why I should tell her that story, but I did anyway not really knowing where it would be going.  After I told the story, I nervously waited to see what she would say thinking she would become impatient with my seemingly evasive answer.  Instead, she exclaimed, "I get it!"  And she then rattled out the truth of what her question was!  I knew in that moment that the Holy Spirit had led me to tell that story knowing that was what would make it click for her.  Please turn to Luke 11:11-13.

This week, I am exploring how God's Word (the Bible) becomes a weapon in our Armor of God.  This is our sword, and yesterday I looked at how there is no sword sharper than the Word of God.  Since it is called the sword of the Spirit, I want to look at the Holy Spirit's role in using this weapon.  Jesus tells us in Luke 11:11-13 that if we ask, God will give us the Holy Spirit.  Jesus also tells us in John 7:37-39 that if we believe in Him, we will receive the Holy Spirit (living water).  So, we know that all who believe will receive the Holy Spirit, but what role does the Spirit play in the use of the Word of God?  Please look up John 14:26.

The Holy Spirit will teach us all things and will remind us of everything that Christ has said.  What an incredible gift we have been given!  First of all, the Spirit will help us understand the Bible - I am a living testimony to that!  There have been many times that I am not understanding something I have read in the Bible and I have prayed that I would understand the truth.  The Holy Spirit will either use someone else in my life, or a sermon at church, or even just show me through another scripture what it is that I don't understand.  If we want to learn more in order to grow in our relationship with Christ, the Holy Spirit will answer our prayer.

The other thing that we see in John 14:26 is that the Holy Spirit will remind us of what Jesus taught.  When we are in a situation where we need wisdom to support our faith, we can trust that the Holy Spirit will remind us of what we have read in the Bible.  The important thing to note here is that we can only be reminded of what we have learned - we need to be reading the Bible.  If we have not spent time reading the Bible, we will not have this weapon fully developed to use.  Please read Luke 12:11-12.  We see that the Holy Spirit will speak through us when we need Him to speak.  Remember that God's word is alive and active and we have the access to use it through the Holy Spirit.

Do you trust the Holy Spirit's guidance?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.