Saturday, June 11, 2011

Memory Verse #12

1 Chronicles 29:11

"Yours, O Lord, is the greatness, the power, the glory, the victory, and the majesty. Everything in the heavens and on earth is yours, O Lord, and this is your kingdom. We adore you as the one who is over all things."  This memory verse was chosen because it was a BibleGateway.com verse of the day and I loved this expression of praise and trust.  When I saw this verse, I had to look up and read the story that went with it and I am so glad I did!  This is the beginning of a prayer that David gave up to God as He and the Israelites were giving their gold, silver, and other earthly goods so his son, Solomon could build the temple.


My small group has been doing the study, Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed: A Study of David by Priscilla Shirer, Beth Moore, and Kay Arthur and we just completed the last video session by Kay Arthur.  This just so happened to be the story that Kay Arthur focused on in the video.  She pointed out that David had a life-long desire to build a temple for God, but God told him that he would not be the one to build it.  God told David that his son, Solomon would build the temple instead.  David could have been upset by hearing God tell him "no," but instead he saved and collected items to eventually pass off to Solomon to build the temple.  When you think of the fact that he had to deal with a disappointment that had to be monumental to him, it is wonderful that he was able to turn it around and give God praise.

I just recently had God tell me no about something I so desperately wanted to be "yes."  This can be a reminder to me that I can choose to be upset about the "no" or I can choose to rejoice and pray for those who get to hear a "yes."  I choose prayer and praise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.