Friday, June 24, 2011

Pray the Armor of God


I enjoy reading fantasy fiction and watching fantasy movies.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Lord of the Rings and how the movies were able to capture so much of what was written in the books.  My favorite scene in the Fellowship of the Rings is in the Mines of Moria and Gandolf is fighting a large, evil creature trying to destroy them.  As they cross a stone bridge, Gandolf stays behind and plants his sword into the bridge and yells at the creature that he will not pass the bridge.  At that moment the bridge crumbles and the creature falls.  There is so much more to that scene; however, I enjoy the power that is conveyed in the scene and the battle between good and evil.  Even though we cannot see the enemy we are battling, it is very real and we have the power and strength of God to fight.  Please look up Ephesians 6:10-18.

I do not think the fact that Paul added the emphasis of prayer after writing about the armor of God in Ephesians.  I believe that prayer is a key piece to how we fight our battles - we pray over ourselves and other believers using the armor of God.  I have begun the practice of praying through the armor of God over the last couple of months, and I would encourage you to do the same.  It serves not only as a reminder to me as I start my day of the fact that I have God's protection and strength but it also seems to prepare me for whatever I am facing.  As I am praying, I spend a little time praying that God will help me wear this armor successfully and pray through each piece:

Belt of Truth:  I ask God that I am able to discern what I am exposed to throughout the day whether it is God's truth or if it is untruth.  I ask that I am able to discern the lies of the enemy so I do not listen to them and can stand firm in God's truth.  I ask that God gives me strength to speak the truth.

Breastplate of Righteousness:  I thank God for allowing me to wear the body armor of righteousness.  I pray that I will respond to my circumstances in the way that Christ has called me to live.  I praise God for the fact that in Christ there is no condemnation and that I do not have to listen to the lies of the enemy that try to heap guilt and shame on me to prevent me from doing what God has called me to do.

Shoes of Peace:  I ask God to help me within my circumstances to have His peace.  I know that because of Christ I have the hope of eternal life with Him and that is the most important thing to focus on.  I ask for peace to remind me the perspective of eternity.  I also ask that God give me peace to share my story and the hope in Christ to those who need to hear it.

Shield of Faith:  I ask God to help me be effective in using the shield of faith.  I ask that when I face a situation that seems overwhelming that I remember that I have the Most High God who loves, cares for, and protects me.  I ask God to help me remember all the ways He has provided for me and for my friends so that I can lift up the shield with confidence knowing that God wants good things for me.  I also ask that God continue to stretch and grow my faith.

Helmet of Salvation:  I ask God that He continue to weed out all the things in my life that are not consistent with what He wants in my life.  I ask God to give me the strength and ability to live the way that a child of the King should live.  I ask God to help mend my thought processes that do not honor Him and that I would only think on things that please Him.  I thank Him for the beautiful gift of salvation that He has extended to us through Christ.

Sword of the Spirit:  I ask God that He help me use His Word effectively.  I ask that as situations arise throughout the day that I am able to use the Word to help me resist the enemy.  I ask that He bring to my mind the scriptures that I have read, studied, and memorized to be able to resist temptation and any other weapon that the enemy has used against me.

Depending on my circumstances that I may be facing, I have also found that I pray specifically for help with those circumstances in relation to the armor of God.  I feel that these nine weeks has helped strengthen and deepen my prayer life.  Our enemy seems scary; however, we have been given a tremendous armor to wear and use and God is so much stronger than anything we face.  God has given us a heritage that we can claim, please turn to Isaiah 54:16-17.  No weapon against us will prevail and God will silence our accusers.  We are His children and His servants and He loves us!  When we pray in the mighty and powerful name of Jesus we are using an authority that is above everything.

Put on your armor and pray, for God is with you mighty warrior!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.